How do you know the candidate you just offered a role to is the ideal candidate, when it comes to Employee Background Screening? Are you 100% sure that everything they’re telling you is the truth? Or are you 90% certain? They showed you a diploma: How do you know it’s not photoshopped? Did you follow the correct procedures during your background checks process? Who Performs Background Screening? What’s Involved in Background Checks covering History Around the Globe? Why do Employers Check Criminal History?
Employee Background Screening: What, Why & Who?
This three-part series of articles looks at employee background screening FAQs.
Part One of the series, “What, Why and Who?” provides an introduction to employee background checks and the necessary screenings that are vital to avoid horror stories and taboo tales that occur within your business. Part Two, “Pre-Employment Checks,” are essentially an investigation into a person’s character – inside and outside their professional lives. Part Three, “Conflict of interest check & FACIS Searches,” checks for any conflict of interests and sanctions, exclusions, debarments and disciplinary actions. To receive the next series subscribe to our monthly newsletter subscribe now!
Taken as a whole, this ebook on employee background screening FAQs developed by the CRI® Group is the perfect primer for HR professionals and companies wanting guidance on background screening, pre-employment screening and post-employment background checks.
WE’VE COMPILED A LIST OF OUR MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS TO DO WITH BACKGROUND SCREENING. IF YOU CANNOT FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BELOW, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THE TEAM!
At CRI® Group, we specialise in employment screening, working as trusted partners to HR and recruiting managers of corporations and institutions worldwide. Our people work with energy, insight and care to ensure we provide a positive experience to everyone involved – clients, reference providers and candidates. Simply investing in sufficient screening systems can save you time, money and heartbreak.
Why conduct pre-employment background checks?
To protect the company from various potential risks, a background check is considered an imperative pre-employment screening step before hiring. Companies often assume that the applicants are telling the truth on their resumes – what if they are not?
These checks are essentially an investigation into a person’s character – inside and outside their professional lives. Some checks you probably already carry out in-house, such as the candidate’s qualifications (documents provided), work history (with a reference check), right to work in the country and even a quick social media presence scan.
A Pre Employment Background Check: Who conducts it?
Permanent, temporary, benefit-eligible, non-benefit eligible, full-time and part-time staff require an acceptable background check.
Former employees, including retirees, are also subject to a background check if a contract breach occurs.
You could have an in-house HR team or contract with a third party vendor like CRI® Group.
Why should I contract a third party vendor if I have an in-house team?
You may have the capabilities to carry out the above services; however, to perform a full in-depth background screening service for candidates and employees at all levels, you need a considerable amount of manpower and skills – and it can be all-consuming work.
A third party vendor such as CRI® Group, with a global network that works with companies across the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia-Pacific, is a one-stop international Risk Management, Background Screening and Due Diligence solutions provider that brings true value to you and your team.
By contracting, you can benefit from the following:
- Cost Control & Savings
- Time Savings / Response Time
- Customer Service / Quality Control
- Expertise & Core Competency
- Technology & know-how
What other checks can a third party vendor execute better than my in-house team?
From checks on senior executives through to shop-floor employees, a full in-depth background check should include:
- Address Verification (Physical Verification)
- Identity Verification
- Previous Employment Verification
- Education & Credential Verification
- Local Language Media Check
- Credit Verification & Financial History (where publicly available)
- Compliance & Regulatory Check
- Civil Litigation Record Check
- Bankruptcy Record Check
- International Criminal Record Check
- Integrity Due Diligence…
Why is it important?
These checks can reduce the risk of hiring someone who could cause irrevocable damage. Firms spend years, thousands, even millions to brand their products and services and one bad hire can cause a loss of capital and reputation to the extent that may cause a business to fail. A robust pre-employment check can help you and your company:
- Reduce turnover & training costs
- Gain a competitive edge through the hiring of better people
- Increase productivity – help your employees be more productive knowing that everyone employed by your company has been screened
- Set your company apart & win more business
- Reduce employee-related problems
- Protect company reputation/brand & customer relations
- Comply with mandates created by state or federal law for certain industries
- Increase retention
- Reduce negligent hiring claims
- Avoid violence in the workplace (threats of violence & actual violence)
- Reduce theft & espionage
- Avoid lawsuits & the costs associated with the defence
- Avoid loss of goodwill
- Various industry studies indicate escalating costs for worker replacement, loss of production, re-recruitment/interviewing, and training – the learning curve can cost you significant money.